Women have been starting companies for hundreds of years. We’re innovators and builders and creators. But women have also faced—and still face—too many barriers. The stories of these women, and others, are just now being told. A shift is occurring in which our voices are becoming more amplified, coalitions like Founders for Change have launched, diverse venture firms and funds like Backstage Capital and X-Factor Ventures are popping up, and investors like Lightspeed are holding portfolio companies accountable by asking them to sign new diversity letters.
Yet with all of this change, Pitchbook announced that all-women teams across the U.S. received just 2.2 percent of 2017’s funding dollars, up from just 1.9 percent in 2016. Within this statistic is the even more alarming fact that only 0.2 percent of VC funding goes to women of color.
All-women teams here in Washington State received only 1.2 percent of the VC funds available in 2017. Our home state. This is not ok.
Having just closed our own Series Seed of $4.75 million led by Madrona Venture Fund here at The Riveter, Seattle-based female-forward workspaces and a community platform, one of our top priorities this year is to change the ratio. And not on our own, but alongside our members and women in our local community.
We’re so excited to announce The Riveter VC Office Hours for Female-Founded Companies. We’ve partnered with more than 15 VC firms in Washington and neighboring states to change the ratio. These firms are committed to supporting women’s startups and helping increase the amount of money venture capital-seeking women founders receive here in Washington State. Every week, we’ll be joined by investors who pledge to provide our members and local community with advice on raising capital, creating pitch decks, getting finances in order, pitching products and services to VC’s across the U.S., and more. Office hours will start in April!
The funds include: Curious Capital, Flying Fish, Founders’ Co-op, Ignition Partners, Jump Canon, Liquid 2 Ventures, Madrona Venture Fund, Maveron, Microsoft Ventures, Pioneer Square Labs, Portland Seed Fund, Seven Peaks Ventures, Trilogy Equity Partners, Trinity Ventures, and WXR Fund.
We will, of course, bring The Riveter VC Office Hours to Los Angeles when we open our first Southern California location later this year.
Whether you’re launching an XR company, a technology platform, a service provider, a goods and services company, or something else, The Riveter is the place to find support to grow and scale your organization.
How It Works
VC office hours are scheduled in 30-minute increments. Each business (individual or team) can attend 3 meetings with 3 different VC investors every year. Office hours will be held every other Tuesday at The Riveter, Capitol Hill, and every other Thursday at The Riveter, Fremont.
- The Riveter VC Office Hours with Trilogy Equity Partners Thurs, March 29 at The Riveter Fremont
- The Riveter VC Office Hours with Pioneer Square Labs Tues, April 3 at The Riveter Capitol Hill
- The Riveter VC Office Hours with Seven Peaks Ventures Thurs, April 12 at The Riveter Fremont
- The Riveter VC Office Hours with Seven Peaks Ventures Tues, April 17 at The Riveter Capitol Hill
- The Riveter VC Office Hours with Liquid 2 Ventures Tues, April 24 at The Riveter Capitol Hill
- The Riveter VC Office Hours with Flying Fish Partners Thurs, April 26 at The Riveter Fremont
- The Riveter VC Office Hours with WXR Fund Tues, May 1 at The Riveter Capitol Hill
- The Riveter VC Office Hours with Madrona Venture Group Tues, May 15
- The Riveter VC Office Hours with WXR Fund Thurs, May 24 at The Riveter Capitol Hill
- The Riveter VC Office Hours with Madrona Venture Group Tues, May 29 at The Riveter Capitol Hill
- The Riveter VC Office Hours with Founders Co-op Thurs, June 7 at The Riveter Fremont
- The Riveter VC Office Hours with Pioneer Square Labs Tues, June 12 at The Riveter Capitol Hill
- The Riveter VC Office Hours with Trilogy Equity Partners Tues, June 26 at The Riveter Capitol Hill
Want to be a member of The Riveter? Join here.
Ready to be a VC that changes the ratio? Contact us at email@example.com to get connected.